Wednesday 11 July 2007

The Origin of the "Bit" Term

I had this expression in my mind after reading various forums/blogs/comments: "just my two cents". People used to end their comments with it and I thought it sounded really cool, so I searched for it to see exactly what it means.

Well here's what I came across, it's the most explanatory explanation I could have found ;-)

Well this is how I found out that a bit used to mean a long time ago an eighth of a coin, because the coins were very valuable because they were made of gold or silver and they were worth the value of the metal they were made of. Therefore they used to split the coins into halves, quarters and eighths. Imagine how small an eighth of a coin was.
Now I assume that the expression "bits and pieces" is as well related to old coins and subdivisions. So they used to make their money bit by bit ;-)

Well, just my two cents :)

No comments: